RepairPal Survey Reveals Repair Trends
Feb. 6, 2014—RepairPal released the results of its Certified Shop Index on Tuesday, which surveyed 162 auto repair shop owners within RepairPal’s Certified Shop Network.
The survey looked at everything from the percentage of shops repairing electric cars to the most reliable vehicle brand.
“RepairPal’s Certified Shop Network sets the bar for quality work, fair prices and customer satisfaction,” said Art Shaw, CEO of RepairPal. “Our goal is to acknowledge the realities of our industry, bring them to the attention of consumers and ensure meaningful solutions are put into place for both automotive business owners and consumers alike.”
Below are some of the highlights from the survey:
- 80 percent surveyed were aware of situations in which consumers may have been taken advantage of by a repair shop.
- 90 percent of auto repair shop owners agree that the most important factors consumers should consider when choosing a shop are trustworthy consumer reviews and certified mechanics.
- Over 94 percent of auto repair shop owners agree that maintenance history records and evidence of accident damage are the most important factors in a vehicles pre-purchase inspection.
- 85 percent of shop owners believe that more expensive auto parts do not always mean better quality.
- Nearly 85 percent of respondents believe that a repair shop should provide guidance to the consumer when it comes to explaining any issues with the vehicle, why the repairs are necessary and guidance specific to the need for any additional repairs.
- Over half of those surveyed said that Toyota is the brand to beat when it comes to overall reliability on the road.
- 49 percent of auto repair shop owners believe that Millennials are the generation that is least likely to routinely care for their vehicles, while Baby Boomers account for the most car-care conscious group (62 percent).
- 68 percent of RepairPal Certified Shops repair electric vehicles, with 35 percent doing so for over five years.
For more information, visit the RepairPal website.