SHOP: Boyd’s Automotive LOCATION: Mabank, Texas OWNER: Jerry Boyd SIZE: 10,000 square feet
AVERAGE MONTHLY CAR COUNT: 172 ANNUAL REVENUE: $500,000
1) Jerry Boyd, who has been in business for 30 years, moved into his new shop location in October and was able to design it exactly how he wanted it. That’s why Boyd’s wife, Michelle, can see her favorite color throughout the shop. The scheme was chosen because of her and because Boyd thought it would stand out and be memorable to customers.
2) The lobby features a red wall and an abstract art piece that was created by Michelle and friends and family members of the staff.
3) The lobby was intentionally separated from the check-in area to create a sense of privacy for customers. The lobby is also decorated for the holidays, which gives it a welcoming feel. The area is constantly updated by the shop’s office manager, Ashley Miller, to celebrate upcoming holidays.
4) The outside has an archway over the customer entry that keeps customers protected from the elements when they drop off their vehicles. Boyd opted for the archway because he felt it set his shop apart from the majority of shops that he has seen use a metal cover. The archway utilizes exposed red beams and Austin stone trim, which Boyd thinks gives the shop curb appeal.
5) The shop-floor entry is set up like a dealership, with an angled drive-in and a 24-foot runway. There is an entrance at the front and at the back, which allows for easy entry and exit. The setup was built like this because Boyd’s Automotive, which is near a lake, sees a lot of RVs; the shop is designed to easily pull RVs in and out.
6) The shop floor is kept extremely clean thanks to a sealed concrete shop floor. After each job, the technicians wipe down the area and at the end of the week, a Viper Fang 20" Automatic Floor Scrubber is used to deep clean the floors.
7) When the staff switched locations from down the street to the new facility, Boyd made a $100,000 investment in all new equipment, which happens to go along with the rest of the shop and is Boyd’s wife’s favorite color.
Do you have a stand-out building, shop space, office or lobby? Submit your info to email@example.com and we may contact you for a full write-up on the view in your shop.