Create a Winning Culture
Robert Richman, a culture-strategist at Zappos and co-founder of Zappos Insights, presented a keynote presentation on creating a winning culture.
Zappos grew from a small website to a multi-million dollar business during a time when people weren’t buying things online. The company figured out a way to differentiate itself and has positioned itself as the No. 6 best place to work in America and the No. 1 in customer service, according to American Express Customers. Richman explains that the same principles that were used in growing the shoe company can be used for the automotive aftermarket industry.
Richman shares Zappos’ 10 “commandments” behind its culture and explains that in order to be successful, every employee needs to agree to and embrace these.
- Deliver wow through service
- Embrace and drive change
- Create fun and a little weirdness
- Be adventurous, creative and open-minded
- Pursue growth and learning
- Build open and honest relationships with communication
- Build a positive team and family spirit
- Do more with less
- Be passionate and determined
- Be humble
Richman also shares the principles behind the company’s culture:
- Culture is driven by feelings
- Culture is governed by games
- Culture grows through rituals
In order for these to be successful, Richman explains that they need to be more than words on a wall. You have to live it and breathe it every single day. If someone doesn’t align with the culture you want to create, find someone that does.