Verizon Telematics Releases Connected Car Aftermarket Device
Aug. 26, 2015—Verizon Telematics announced today the availability of Hum, an aftermarket vehicle technology and subscription service that provides subscribers with a self-installed solution that helps predict potential issues, prevents breakdowns and offers protection when problems arise. Hum is compatible with over 150 million passenger vehicles.
At the press of a button, drivers can receive diagnostic information, pinpoint roadside assistance and live consultation with ASE-certified mechanics and emergency personnel on-demand.
"Hum is an important service, one that we feel passionately will help save lives and keep drivers and their loved ones protected whether they are traveling across town or across the country," said Andrés Irlando, CEO at Verizon Telematics. "This service equips drivers on the road today with the same level of information about their vehicles that fitness wearables deliver about our health. Simply put, Hum democratizes the safety and convenience of vehicle connectivity."
Subscribers can install Hum through an onboard diagnostic (OBD) reader that is plugged into the vehicle’s OBD port, and a Bluetooth-enabled device that is clipped to the visor. Included with the monthly subscription are a smartphone app that allows the health of a vehicle to be monitored, help to be contacted and the ability to manage maintenance needs, even when they are not behind the wheel.
Specific features include:
- Pinpoint Roadside Assistance for breakdowns, flat tires, overheating, dead battery or virtually anything else that might require towing or roadside assistance.
- Incident Alert & Emergency Assistance notifies the hum emergency response center if the system detects an incident. Help will be dispatched to the vehicle's GPS location if an accident is confirmed or if there is no response from the driver for additional support. Drivers can also initiate a call at the push of a button to speak with a trained, live agent.
- Auto Health & Diagnostics helps predict and prevent mechanical issues before they become bigger problems by giving subscribers' insights into their car's health via the hum web portal and smartphone app.
- Mechanic's Hotline connects subscribers with ASE Certified Mechanics providing personalized, immediate and unbiased consultation related to their vehicle's repair and maintenance issues.
- Parking & Meter Tools help drivers find where they left their vehicle — using the hum smartphone app — while also keeping tabs on how much time is left on the meter.
- Maintenance Reminders and Alerts can be set for oil changes, tire rotations and more. Additionally, hum will automatically alert customers to vehicle troubles and general manufacturer recalls.
- Stolen Vehicle Location Assistance is available at the subscriber's request – hum can provide information to authorities in order to help locate the stolen vehicle.
- Travel & Repair Discounts include hotels, vehicle rentals, related travel expenses, and auto maintenance.
"By modernizing traditional 'roadside assistance,' Hum is designed to deliver ultimate peace-of-mind behind the wheel," Irlando said. "Now, in addition to being protected with live help and emergency services, drivers will know what their check engine light means and will be empowered with information and knowledge on how to get the problem fixed and what it may cost."
For more information and to purchase hum, visit the website.