Toyota to Advance EVs
June 10, 2019—Instead of selling 1 million electric vehicles per year by 2030, the target year is now 2025, reported CleanTechnica.
Tesla plans to sell 1 million BEVs per year by 2021, at least 4 years ahead of Toyota. Even Volkswagen expects to reach that goal in 2022.
Bertel Schmitt, longtime friend of Japanese Auto, has done a writeup of Toyota’s June 7th press conference from Tokyo. Here are some key points:
- First, Toyota BEVs will sell in China in 2020, other markets later.
- “BEV sales much higher than our original expectations” (Shigeki Terashi, Toyota R&D).
- 2017 master plan for 5.5 million “electric and electrified” vehicles by 2030 now advanced to 2025.
- “The 5.5 million vehicles consist of 4.5 million hybrid and plug-in hybrid vehicles, along with 1 million of the battery-electric and fuel-cell variety.” (Bertel Schmitt’s estimates)
- Half of the 1 million BEV total will be in China, the rest split between Europe and US. (Schmitt)